Broadly speaking, the Leoš Janáček Memorial in Brno encompasses the entire premises of the former Organ School and the subsequently built garden house in which Janáček lived from 1910 till his death, and where also his wife Zdenka spent the last part of her life (died in 1936).
While the building of the Organ School, later Conservatory, became the seat of the music department of the Moravian Musem in the 1950's, a memorial runned by the Musem was established in the garden house where Janáček actually lived. The building of the Organ School is particularly valued from the viewpoint of archives and museums as here since 1956 the collections of the music department of the Moravian Museum and the whole of the Janáček Archives have been deposited. In 1990 the building of the Organ School was handed over to the Brno Episcopate under the Out-of-Court Rehabilitation Act; the Moravian Musem, including Janáček Archives, has still its seat here and simultaneously the Episcopate runs a music school in the building.
The garden house, hosting the exposition of Janáček’s study room, was a place where the public could learn more about the composer’s life and work. In summer 2002 the house was closed, underwent a complete renovation and was re-opened at the beginning of 2004.